5 March 2012

WOMAN WORSHIP - AND WHY THE HELL NOT?

Photobucket

I was aware of Giovanna as early as a few years ago. I recognised her distinctive bold sartorial style around shows in Paris and on the streetstyle blogs: strong colours, big shapes, lots of jewellry, and not dissimilar from my own. But it was only really in the last few months that I made the connection between the editorial pictures I had on my walls at university and the image-maker behind them. It seems Giovanna has been helping me make decisions about how I dress for a lot longer than I realise.




Around the same time that I became hooked on her Gio's Journal column in W magazine, for whom she is contributing fashion editor, that same magazine published an article on girl crushes. Commonly a romaticised phenomenon occurring in single-sex boarding schools, girl crushes are often first formed for glamorous older girls in house common rooms. Although I never had one myself, I read about them in the novels of Enid Blyton and Karen WallaceIn the article, Thessaly la Force (what a name...!) describes the nervous 'first date' shakes she experienced on having the opportunity to meet one of her female icons. And she was far from boarding school age: she had a rather glamourous job of her own at The New Yorker. The writer jokes about her silly attachment, but she makes a very valid point. 
 "The “girl crush” may sound ­silly, but sometimes it takes something ­unserious to get us talking about a serious subject: the ambitions of young creative women and the need for ­worthy role models [...] Each of them has accomplished something the rest of us dream of doing. And because they’ve done it, we feel we can too."
My 'girl crush' on Giovanna - now that I can call it that - goes far beyond her sense of style. It's a crush on her career, her aesthetic, her playful and self-deprecating attitude to herself, her professional outlook, her lifestyle, her wacky habits and her relationship with her colleagues. She has my dream job - fashion stylist at a number of top International Conde Nast publications, and additionally, Giovanna is ten years older than me, and therefore allows me to imagine what my life when I am her age now. 
After catching up over dinner last night at Chez Jeanette, I brought the topic of Girl crushes up with Shini, Jen and Dvora as we walked through the streets of Paris.  Jen mentioned Carol Issa of Tank magazine, while we all swooned over Candice Lake, with wistful 'Oh-s!' and 'Oh-she's-so-amazing!'s' Both Candice and Carol are exteriorly and interiorly beautiful women. Humble, kind, ambitious, brilliant. Women I could add to this girl crush list off the top of my head : Diane Arbus, Olivia Wilde, Tavi Gevinson, Zadie Smith, Patti Smith, Christa d'Souza, Laurie Penny, Camilla Batmangheli...
Photobucket
La Force also brings much needed attention to an ideology which takes a fair bit of bashing from time to time, as trends rise and fall, namely that of the cult of woman worship. What could be healthier than the admiration, respect and appreciation of an individual of our fellow womankind, who has earned attention for doing something outstanding? Sadly, the girl crush is not universal. You only have to leaf through the tabloids or any noxious gossip weekly to see that in some parts of society, woman-on-woman hating is positively encouraged. The endless sharp-tongued criticism of Victoria Beckham is the perfect example. On paper - as a woman who formed part of one of the biggest pop empires the world as ever seen, then went on to individually start a luxury business from the ground up, is the mother to three children and balances a steady marriage, constantly under public scrutiny and yet manages to remain scandal-free - she's a legend. Yet many female journalist prefer to focus attention on the fact that she wore high heels while pregnant, as if it were on the same scale as smoking 20 a day for the 9 months.
Photobucket
La Force observes that professional girl crushes are also a reassuring confirmation that the professional realm once dominated by men is evening out. True, my girl crush works in the female dominated world of fashion, but you only have to look at the video above or on W's website to see that Giovanna is a 24/7 powerhouse, loving her work, loving life, and running her own shop entirely. And cordially, too. I haven't met Giovanna yet, but I know that my 'first date shakes' will surely rival those of La Force's when it does happen.
And of course, we can't ignore her style. I'd like to call it 'Me, but luxe'. Perhaps in ten years I might have as enviable a wardrobe. 
Photobucket

Photobucket
Above: One of Giovanna's editorials for Vogue Japan. Below: Whilst picture researching for this post, I made two fascinating discoveries about Gio and I. First - Our shared taste in Bollywood style crop tops for parties. Second - we have the same party Game Face.
Photobucket

14 comments:

C. Anne said...

The party shot is hilarious! I admit to a girl crush on Gio too, she has such definitive style and her career is amazing.

Smaz said...

Great post! Interesting, thoughtful and well written with beautiful images. It's refreshing to see a post which, whilst including fashion, also connects to wider issues such as the 'woman-on-woman' hating in the media which you mentioned.
The party game face pictures made me laugh too!

Sarah

Naomi The Fash Pack said...

Such a brilliant piece Imogen - you're completely right.
So nice to see an online writer doing something original and interesting.
xx

Fashionistable said...

Yes I am right there with you. She is fantastic. Wonderful inspiration to have. It was so good to see you again. And a nice treat for me to get away from the computer for a few hours. Thank You. Xxxx

Anna (South Molton St Style) said...

Wow, she has great style - lovely piece too. Do you work in editorial!? xx

South Molton St Style

Candice Lake said...

awwwww Thank you for your lovely comment. Big love xx Candice

the style crusader said...

Amazing! Imogen this post is amazing. I've just now read the whole thing and watched the entire video. I absolutely adore this post and all you've said.

It's so true that too often women bash on each other as a way of making themselves feel better. I'm all for supporting each other and admiring the women who have accomplished great things before us. I love that it's acceptable to admit to massive girl crushes!

p.s. so much style inspiration in this post!

p.s.s. you and Giovanna look like long lost best friends in that last selection of images.

p.s.s.s. let's walk through the streets of Paris discussing girl crushes again soon please! xx

research paper writing said...

Looking very very attractive in all the photos...your outfits are really very in line to today's fashion world...I like the way you carry them with lots of attitude..AWESOME!!

iPhone 4 cases said...

Oh, so many pretty skirts, I don't think I could pick a favourite! I think it's time for me to start working on my own collection of these...

russian translation service said...

Thesis writing involves several processes which makes the entirety of the experience both exciting and challenging. From choosing a researchable topic that has not been done by other students and eventually narrowing it down to become a uniquely original work to soliciting the help of a research supervisor and in embarking on data collection and writing the paper, these are some of the tasks that almost all undergraduate and graduate students working on a thesis consider as stressful. In spite of the many challenges that students have to put up with, undeniably, the thesis project is an important project-based and challenge-based educational experience that helps in building character and in preparing students for their chosen career. One particular skill that is indispensable and which perhaps is unknowingly cultivated among students as they work on a thesis is the ability to work with a group of superiors.

international economics dissertation samples said...

Your blog post WOMAN WORSHIP - AND WHY THE HELL NOT is superb Actually, i have seen your post and That was very learning and very entertaining for me. Gratitude for blog posting Really Such Things. I should recommend your site to my friends.

www.takeaway-sellyoak.co.uk said...

Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! Its always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! Im sure you had fun writing this article.

professional cv service said...

All the contents you mentioned in post are too good and can be very useful. I will keep it in mind, thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts.

Unknown said...

Student life is most important life a student can be solved his problem .A student college paper writing service can be educated person.He knows everything.He solved his problem.A man can be educated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...